Information on the Inn's response in relation to the Covid-19 virus (Coronavirus) will be regularly updated on this page.
This page was last updated on 8 July 2020. [Updates: Library re-opening, Chapel service].
All measures will be kept under review and in line with government guidance as it develops. The information below summarises the measures we are now having to take.
The safety of our Members, staff and visitors is our top priority and we remind all to follow Public Health England’s guidance.
Updates to our response will be published on our website and social media and we will notify our Members directly where possible.
A Covid-19 Emergency Fund Appeal has been launched on behalf of the Barristers' Benevolent Association and the Inns for members of the Bar adversely affected by Covid-19 and the closure of the courts. All four Inns have contributed generously to this appeal and those eligible for their support should visit the BBA website for more details.
- Read the full appeal and complete a donation and gift aid form (PDF)
- Read the letter from the Treasurer released 21 April 2020
Your donation could make a very real difference.
Read the press release on behalf of the Inns of Court released 9 April 2020 and a letter from the Treasurer, The Rt Hon. Sir Stephen Irwin on 10 April, providing a fuller explanation of what the Inn is doing and the reasons behind it.
The Management Committee is acutely aware of the pressures presently faced by very many barristers and their Chambers, and also of the difficulties which will arise, particularly for some.
We have established a Hardship Working Group chaired by the Vice Treasurer which will consider all requests for support from tenants, residents and those members of the Inn who have not ‘held a brief’ and are thus not entitled to be included within the BBA scheme (e.g. Pupils and students). Please note that individuals who are eligible for support from the BBA cannot apply to the Inn’s Hardship Working Group and must request support from the BBA. All four Inns have contributed generously to the BBA’s Emergency Fund Appeal in order to support the Bar at and the Working Group’s efforts are for those who are ineligible for BBA support or tenants and residents of the Inn.
Read the Terms of Reference (PDF) for all three groups and additional details below:
- Information for chambers - process for rent deferral (PDF) and assistance for tenants News item
- Information for residents - process for rent deferral (PDF)
- Information for those who do not qualify for BBA assistance (PDF)
- Annex A – Residents (editable document)
- Annex C – Individuals (editable document)
We will continue to support our Members, and you can still get in touch with us by email and on the phone, however, please note that it may take a little longer than usual for us to respond to queries during this period due to amended working patterns for our staff.
If you're not sure who to get in touch with, please email enquiries to our general Gray's Inn inbox and one of our team will get back to you.
Support and Wellbeing
Members can continue to get involved with the Inn, complete key Qualifying Sessions remotely and access documents from the Library.
We understand this is a worrying time. If you need support or to talk to someone, you are not alone.
The Preacher is available to listen, in complete confidence. Email Bishop Michael Doe and he will send you his home phone number.
The Bar Council's Wellbeing at the Bar website is also a valuable resource, offering a confidential telephone support and counselling service, as well as a wide range of wellbeing fact sheets, videos, self-help programmes, interactive tools and educational resources.
Scholarships and Joining
You can contact the scholarships team with any queries.
- The Estate is currently closed to the public and no non-essential travel to the Inn should be undertaken.
- The pedestrian entrance from High Holborn (by the Cittie of Yorke) is now open daily from 6am to 8pm.
- The Estate is operating 24/7 security and our Porters can be found in Gray’s Inn Square.
- Our Reception desk is closed but the team can be contacted by email.
- No deliveries should be made to the Inn other than for essential items.
- Events in July are cancelled (except 12 July Chapel service, QSs and webinars that can be held remotely)
- The Library is re-opening on a rota basis from 6th July. Library staff will also continue to provide a remote remote enquiry and limited document supply service to members. Please refer to the Library page for up to date information on rota dates and available services, including details on the online textbooks available for Gray’s Inn members and trial access to online books and databases. The other Inn Libraries are also offering reduced services and you are advised to contact them directly to check how they can assist. All Inn Libraries have waived their charges for these services and document supply will be free at this time. None of the Inns’ libraries will be opening on Saturdays.
Please contact the Library by email between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
- The Education Department office is closed but they are still working to deliver Qualifying Sessions, handle applications to join the Inn and apply for Scholarships and other key services. Please contact Education by email.
We aim to deliver all forthcoming Qualifying Sessions on the date and time scheduled for those registered, however they will be delivered remotely, possibly as a live stream. Refunds will be arranged for cancelled events and for Qualifying Sessions which no longer have the collegiate element.
- The Chapel is open to all faiths for prayer and quiet contemplation. The recent relaxation of rules concerning public worship means that a service is running on 12 July.
- The Walks are closed until further notice other than to residents, and tenants. We would ask those using the Walks for the purpose of exercise to respect the guidance given by Government concerning social distancing.
- Accommodation is closed until September 2020. The booking system is still open and new bookings for September onward are being accepted.
Please check our Events pages for updates on individual events. Where possible, we will reschedule some events to a later date.