If you wish to become a pupil supervisor, you must be approved by the Inn and meet the eligibility requirements set out in Section B5 of the Bar Standards Board (BSB) Handbook.
To become a pupil supervisor you must:
- have been in practice for at least 6 of the previous 8 years
- have your practice as your primary occupation
- have been entitled to exercise a right of audience as a barrister during the 2 years immediately preceding the date of your application
The above is a summary of eligibility only; the full requirements are set out in the BSB Handbook.
The process of approval consists of four stages:
- Submission of:
- Attendance at a Pupil Supervisor Briefing Session
- A professional conduct check with the BSB
- Confirmation from the Inn of your approval
The minimum time required to process any application for pupil supervisor approval is 4-6 weeks.
You can find full details regarding the application process on the application form (Form A) itself. From 1 January 2014 applications received using the previous forms (discontinued September 2013) cannot be accepted.
Please use the form below should you have any enquiries regarding becoming approved as a pupil supervisor.