Ann Goddard Pupillage Scholarships
The next Ann Goddard Scholarship award application period (for pupillages commencing 2017*):
- opens on Monday 23 October 2017
- closes on 20 November 2017
*Please email the scholarships team for further information if your pupillage does not commence in the Autumn.
The Inn will accept applications for Ann Goddard Scholarships from members currently undertaking pupillage training in publicly funded work in whole or in substantial part.
Please note there are two stages to the application process:
Awards are made solely on the basis of the applicant's satisfaction of the Inn's merit based criteria; intellectual ability, motivation to succeed at the Bar, potential as an advocate and other personal qualities.
Financial circumstances are not considered in determining whether to make scholarships or awards in the first instance.
2. Financial Means
Once the successful scholars have been determined, the Inn will carefully consider the financial circumstances of each scholar to determine the amount of each award. Applicants must complete the Financial Details section contained within the application form.
Before starting an application, and to find out more about references, conditions and the application process, please read our conditions for applicants and scholars. Please also ensure you read all the guidance contained within the application form itself.
- you must be a member of the Inn to apply for an Ann Goddard Scholarship
- conditional upon successful candidates having passed the BPTC examinations unconditionally at their first attempt
- both your references must also be received by the above deadline (one academic and one from your pupil supervisor)
Online application system
You must apply for Ann Goddard Scholarship via our online scholarship application system system. You will be required to create an account if you are a new user. If you are using the system in Internet Explorer 9 or above, please ensure you disable ‘compatibility view’ before starting an application.
An application for a Hebe Plunkett Award (for disabled students and pupils, in particular those who are blind or partially sighted, requiring financial assistance on the GDL, the BPTC or during pupillage) can also be made in tandem with your GDL application.
Referees are required to provide references using the Inn's online scholarship system. The online scholarship application form will allow unique access for each of your referees to provide their references. Details on referee eligibility and guidance for referees on completing references can be found in Notes to Scholarship Referees.
If shortlisted, interviews will be held in January (exact interview dates will be published on the online application form).
Awards made in 2016:
Ann Felicity Goddard Scholarship
HHJ Ann Felicity Goddard QC
- Endowed by a legacy left to the Inn by the late Master Ann Goddard for the support of pupil barristers undertaking training in publicly funded areas of law
- HHJ Ann Felicity Goddard QC (1936-2011), called 1960, a Bencher of the Inn and Senior Circuit Judge at the Old Bailey