How to apply
Your application for Call should consist of:
- a Petition for Call to the Bar and Call Declaration Form (editable document)
- two references (see below)
- payment (see below)
- certified copy of final degree certificate (if applicable, see below)
Email your application to the Call team. Call documents can only be accepted by email for the foreseeable future. Please do not post any documents to the Education Department.
Both of your referees must:
- have known you for a minimum of 12 full months
- not be your partner/spouse or related to you
- be currently working as one of the following:
- Member of Parliament
- Secondary school teacher
- University lecturer
- Bar Course lecturer*
- Officer of the British armed forces
- Senior police officer
- Doctor (who knows you personally, not just as your GP for example)
*References from your Bar Course lecturers are only acceptable if written after they have known you for a full academic year. Current full time students may not use Bar Course lecturers if applying for Trinity Call.
Both your references must be:
- written on professional headed paper
- dated and signed with an original signature
- clearly show the identity and qualifications of the person writing the letter
It may be possible to use overseas references, but only if you cannot provide suitable references from referees based in the UK because you have not lived in the UK for more than 12 months.
Both your references must be addressed to ‘The Masters of the Bench’ and read:
“This is to introduce (your name) whom I have known (statement regarding the nature, extent and duration of the referee’s acquaintance with you).
I consider him/her to be in every way a fit and proper person for Call to the Bar.”
We suggest you forward a Call reference template (editable document) onto both your referees.
Please note that referees and/or references which do not meet the criteria above will not be accepted and will be returned to you. Your place on a particular Call will not be confirmed until both your referees and references meet the criteria.
You will be invited to pay your call fees via your Gray’s Inn Booking Account (GIOS).
For a common scenario - being called in person with 2 guests - the fees broken down are:
|Your attendance at the reception||£28|
|Guest 1 (optional)||£30|
|Guest 2 (optional)||£30|
If you did not submit a certified copy of your final degree certificate when you applied to join the Inn, (i.e. you applied to join before your final result was conferred), we will require a certified copy of your final conferred degree result in order for you to be Called.
The copied certificate should hold an official stamp (such as the University seal) and the certifier should state that it is a true likeness of the original.
Due to the capacity of Hall you will only be allowed to invite 2 guests to the Call ceremony and reception. Should you wish to invite more than 2 guests, we suggest you apply for Hilary Call, which is typically the smallest, when this may be possible.
At Trinity Call you will be able to invite additional guests to the reception (in the Walks) only.
All guests must be over 11 years of age.
For all Call days you:
- must submit your Call papers by the relevant deadline, or during the specific time period (Trinity Call only)
- are expected to be called in person
- may be granted the right to be called in absentia, but permission for this is rare; please contact the Education Department to discuss further
- cannot be called if you have BPTC re-sits and your results are published less than 1 week before Call day; please check with your provider when the results will be published
Barrister card photograph
The photograph that currently appears on your student membership card will be used for your barrister card. If you would like a different photograph to be used, please provide an updated passport photograph with your Call papers.