Dress Code and Rules
For online Qualifying Sessions (QS) the dress code is smart-casual. Many of the guests and trainers may be working before they attend any given event, we ask attendees to look presentable for events held online.
QSs held at the Inn unless otherwise stated is:
- dark suits with white shirts (men and women) and ties (men)
- gowns (students, barristers and benchers - except guests)
You can collect a gown from the robing room (without charge) which is located in the Rose Heilbron Room on the ground floor at 10 South Square. The entrance is directly underneath the bridge; the same entrance to the Bridge Bar.
Guests are not required to wear gowns but must wear an appropriate dark suit and tie.
Rules and requirements
Once you have joined the Inn as a student Member, in addition to passing the Bar Course, you must complete 10 Qualifying Sessions (QSs), during a period of no more than 5 years, in order to be called to the Bar. If you started the course prior to September 2020, please see details on transitional arrangements.
- Online QSs: To be accredited with a QS for online events, you must join the event on time and stay for the full duration of the event
- Events at the Inn: you must bring printed bar-coded QS ticket in order to be accredited with a QS (unless the QS is ticketless: introductory events, residential/advocacy weekends and QSs on Circuit)
- Each session will have a theme and you must attend a minimum of one session under each of the themes (listed below). At least two sessions must be interactive and require preparation in advance.
- For the purpose of banqueting arrangements, student bookings can only be taken between the booking opening and closing dates
- Student registration times for QSs at the Inn will vary
- For formal dining, members and guests are not expected to leave Hall between Grace before Dinner and the final toast of Domus and attendees should therefore ensure that they use the facilities before entering Hall