Vacancy - Events Manager
The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
Gray’s Inn is one of the four Inns of Court which have the exclusive right to call men and women to the Bar of England and Wales. For more than six hundred years, Gray’s has been home to a community of extraordinary individuals. Generations of members have honed their craft at Gray’s Inn and their talent, dedication and bravery has shaped, and continues to shape, the evolution of the rule of law.
The Inn exists to support, educate and develop its aspiring and its practising barrister members in accordance with its historic traditions. With an active membership of around five and a half thousand, including around three hundred student members at any one time, Gray’s is run by and for its members.
Gray’s Inn uses income generated from the commercial and residential lettings on its estate to pay for scholarships to support members on their journey to a career at the Bar, and to fund our other charitable activities: Education, the Chapel and the Library.
Events at the Inn
Gray’s Inn has a large number of indoor and outdoor spaces with a wide diversity in terms of scale and ambience which are used to provide the following types of event:
- Educational Events - delivering the Inn’s educational programme
- Commercial Events - where the specialist third party caterer lets unused space for a commercial return
- Inn Events - social occasions for the benefit of members of the Inn
The Events Manager is responsible for managing all aspects (planning, coordination and administration) involved in the successful delivery of Inn events. In 2019 there were 257 Inn Events, although the majority of these were very small, and 49 significant ones which included a Summer Ball for 450 people, the Treasurer’s Reception in our Walks for 600 and several black / white tie formal dinners.
The Events Manager will work closely across all areas of the Inn including with our Catering Contractor and close and harmonious working relationships across departments and with the other Inns will be crucial. As well as the Catering Contractor, the Events Manager will work closely with the Chief of Staff, Digital and Marketing Manager and Under Treasurer (CEO). The Events Manager will have an assistant for whom he/she will be the line manager (position to be recruited).
- Working with the Treasurer, Chair of the Events Committee, Under Treasurer, Preacher and other key stakeholders to produce the Inn’s social programme for online and Inn events including Circuit Dinners outside of London
- Monitor bookings on the Inn’s online system ahead of events and vary advertising and the allocation of vacancies to maximise attendance
- Work closely with the Inn’s Digital and Marketing Manager to maximise publicity for all Inn Events
- Have responsibility for event finances and for advising the Under Treasurer and Director of Finance on costs and ticket prices
- Encourage commercial events and pass the details to the Catering contractor
- Provide line management of the Assistant Events Officer
- Free lunches in Hall when it is open
- Contributory pension scheme: the employer will double any contributions the employee makes to personal pension arrangements up to a limit of 8% of salary
- 33 days a year annual leave (basic Annual Leave is comprised of 20 days leave and 13 discretionary days) and 8 bank holidays
Salary and How to Apply
For further details and an application pack please contact Covent Garden Recruitment. Closing date for applications: 23 April 2021. The preferred start date would be mid-May 2021.
Gray’s Inn is an equal opportunities employer. No agencies.