Vacancy - Graduate Library Trainee
£23,665.00 (1 year fixed-term contract)
We are looking for a confident, proactive individual who enjoys team-work and is interested in pursuing a career in librarianship. The post would particularly suit anyone seeking experience prior to studying for a library/information qualification, and a representative schedule of training and visits is included with the application pack.
You must be a university graduate (or equivalent). Previous library or information experience may be helpful but is not essential. Experience of working in an office or customer-facing environment is highly desirable. Knowledge of the law or the legal sector is not required.
The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
Gray’s Inn is one of four Inns of Court responsible for calling barristers to the Bar of England and Wales. The Inn provides continuing legal education post-qualification, the Library, the Chapel, dining, scholarships, advocacy training and other facilities for students and barristers.
Gray’s Inn Library
The Library houses over 75,000 books, journals and law reports, including rare books and manuscripts dating back to the 11th century. It offers the full range of general English legal materials but also collects in over twenty specialist areas of law, including its flagship international law collection, maintained on behalf of all four Inns of Court. The Library also offers a range of online resources and a professional enquiry service for students and barristers.
- Providing an enquiry service for barristers and students within the Library and by phone or email
- Fulfilling document supply requests for copies of law reports, journal articles etc.
- Serials administration and cataloguing (under supervision) using SirsiDynix
- Library housekeeping tasks including looseleaf filing, shelving, binding preparation and some liaison with library suppliers
- Assisting with projects such as stock moves, re-cataloguing, creating library displays
- Contributing Library content to the Inn’s social media channels
The Inn offers a generous package of annual leave and other benefits, including free lunches during legal terms.
For further details and an application pack please email recruitment (quoting reference – Graduate Library Trainee – in the heading).
Closing date for applications: 23 August 2019. Interviews are expected to take place on 4 September 2019 and a start date of 1 October 2019 is anticipated.
Gray’s Inn is an equal opportunities employer.