All members are encouraged to stay involved with the Inn after they have been called. Your life at the Inn does not end at Call night!
We are determined that members, be it barristers, judges or Benchers, make the Inn’s extensive educational and collegiate activities both in and outside of the Inn a central part of their professional lives.
The Inn’s Education and Training is reliant on the knowledge, generosity and willingness to help of the Inn’s barristers, judges and Benchers based across England and Wales. Without this, it could not run the schemes and substantial programme of events designed to prepare students for life at the Bar. These include:
- the Mentoring Scheme for students currently on the Bar Professional Training Course
- the Court Pupillage (Marshalling) programme
- Mock Interviews for students applying for pupillage
The Inn’s Barristers’ Committee is the voice of the members of Hall and exists to convey their views to the Masters of the Bench. The Committee welcomes all input and ideas from barristers regarding life at the Inn, its events and all other affairs.
Seniors in Hall
As a Senior in Hall, you would be part of barrister members of the Inn selected to fulfil certain duties in Hall during student events. It is an excellent opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere of dining in Hall with fellow members and Benchers of the Inn.
There are a number of clubs and societies open to all members of the Inn. Contact Reception to get in touch with clubs and societies at Gray’s.
- Gray’s Inn Choir
- Gray’s Inn Football
- The Bar Golfing Society
- Gray’s Inn LGBT+ Society
- Gray’s Inn Netball
- Bar Musical Society
Follow the Bar Musical Society on Twitter
- Bar Yacht Club
- CEBA (The Commonwealth in England Barristers’ Association)
The Miscellany is the Inn’s annual Christmas show organised by and starring its members. It is open to everyone, from students to the Supreme Court and auditions usually take place in October.
Shows are themed and past Miscellany titles include:
- ‘Gray’s All At Sea’ or ‘This Time We’re Really in the Ship!’ (2021)
- A Break with Tradition or The Profits of Zoom (2020)
- A Miscellany of Miscellanies (2020)
- Paint Misbehavin’ or A Brush with the Law (2019)
- Gray’s In Space (2018)
- The Mythellany: Beware of Gray’s Bearing Gifts (2017)
- Shakespeare Inn Love or A Miscellany of Errors (2016)
Miscellany is a wonderful chance for any members with musical, acting or dancing talent or a willingness to help backstage to join in the fun. You can also attend as a member of the audience of course!