We offer two types of scholarships to support Members of the Inn during pupillage.
The Senior Scholarships are the Inn’s most prestigious scholarships. Four scholars will receive £5,000 each, and one of the following named awards:
- The Arden Scholarship
- The Atkin Scholarship
- The Mould Scholarship
- The Reid Scholarship
Ann Goddard Scholarships
The Ann Goddard Scholarships support pupils intending to build a practice at the publicly funded Bar. All scholarships are means-tested.
I am very grateful to Gray’s Inn for awarding me the scholarships and providing me with some financial support to help me continue on at the criminal bar, despite the underfunding and low fees.
– Emma Fielding, Ann Goddard and Arden Scholar 2022
- Key application dates
Key application dates
For Members commencing pupillage from Michaelmas term 2023.*
- Applications open: Friday 24 November 2023
- Application deadline: 11.59pm Friday 5 January 2024 (GMT)
- Interviews: 14 – 15 February 2024 (Ann Goddard) / 20 – 21 February 2024 (Senior)
*Please email the scholarships team to discuss eligibility if your pupillage does not commence in Michaelmas 2023.
- How to apply
How to apply
All applications must be submitted through the Gray’s Inn Online Scholarship System.
You must be undertaking a pupillage at the Bar of England and Wales to be eligible for either scholarship.
Two references are required to support your application. Read the Referee guidance.
Members can be in receipt of both a Senior Scholarship and an Ann Goddard Scholarship.
Members cannot reapply for either pupillage scholarship.
- Merit assessment criteria
Merit assessment criteria
All applications will be considered against the following assessment criteria:
- Academic ability – Demonstrates the strong academic foundation necessary to succeed as a barrister.
- Advocacy – Can develop well structured, succinct, grammatically correct, and persuasively written argument. As an oral advocate, can communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively.
- Problem solving – Possesses the professional judgement and problem-solving ability to excel as a Junior Tenant.
- Working with others – Possesses the self-awareness and client care to excel as a Junior Tenant.
- Motivation to succeed – Demonstrates a clear motivation and determination to succeed in their career.