You are required to complete advocacy training and a Practice Management Course before commencing your 2nd Six.
You must register your pupillage with the Inn and the Bar Standards Board (BSB) as soon as possible.
- Submit the Inn's Pupillage registration form
- Submit the Bar Standards Board registration form (visit the BSB website)
Training during pupillage
The BSB requires all pupils to complete a Pupil Advocacy Course and a Practice Management Course before commencing their 2nd Six.
You are also required to complete a Forensic Accountancy Course (visit the BPP website) between the start of pupillage and the end of your first three years of tenancy or employment.
If you are taking pupillage in London:
- you will be automatically booked onto our Pupil Advocacy Course (which incorporates the Practice Management Course) once you register your pupillage with us
- you will be contacted in early autumn with further details regarding the course
- you will be required to attend each stage of the course
If you are taking pupillage on Circuit (outside of London):
- you are required to attend advocacy training and the practice management course on Circuit (visit the BSB website).
If you are taking pupillage in the South Eastern Circuit, but not in London, and you would still like to attend our pupil course, you must be able to commit to the travel requirements needed to attend each stage in full. Depending on your location, it may be easier for you to attend training on Circuit.
GIBC Pupil Mentoring Scheme
The GIBC (Gray's Inn Barristers' Committee) Pupil Mentoring Scheme can be a valuable source of support as you go through pupillage. Whether you have an issue that you would feel more comfortable discussing with someone outside of Chambers or your training organisation, or you are in need of guidance about your options following completion of pupillage, it can be a real help to have a mentor from the Inn. Register for a mentor.