Your application for Call should consist of:
- A Petition for Call to the Bar, Call Declaration and QS requirement Form (editable document)
- Payment (see below)
- Certified copy of your final undergraduate degree certificate
- Certified copy of your final GDL certificate (if applicable)
We no longer require references for your Call application.
In order to be called in absentia, you will need to complete the application form and submit by email. Please note that allowance for call in absentia is rare. You will need to submit your application by emailing Member Services, outlining your request and reason(s) behind not being able to attend Call
You will be invited to pay your call fees via your Gray’s Inn Booking Account (GIOS) a month before the ceremony.
For a common scenario – being called in person with 2 guests – the fees broken down are:
|Your attendance at the reception||£28|
|Guest 1 (optional)||£30|
|Guest 2 (optional)||£30|
For student members, if you did not submit a certified copy of your final undergraduate degree certificate when you applied to join the Inn, (i.e. you applied to join before your final result was conferred), we will require a certified copy of your final conferred undergraduate degree result in order for you to be Called.
The copied certificate should hold an official stamp (such as the University seal) and the certifier should state that it is a true likeness of the original. Some Post Offices provide a document certifying service, for more information visit the Post Office website.
Due to the capacity of Hall you will only be allowed to invite 2 guests to the Call ceremony and reception.
At Trinity Call you will be able to invite additional guests to the reception (in The Walks) only.
All guests must be over 11 years of age.
For all Call days you:
- must submit your Call papers by the relevant deadline, or during the specific time period.
- are expected to be called in person
- may be granted the right to be called in absentia, but permission for this is rare; please contact Roberta Lai to discuss further
Barrister card photograph
The photograph that currently appears on your student membership card will be used for your barrister card. If you would like a different photograph to be used, please provide an updated passport photograph with your Call papers.