In 2020, Gray’s will award at least £1.3 million in scholarships, including up to 30 GDL scholarships ranging from £2,500 to £13,000.
The next application period for 2020 GDL Scholarships:
- opens in 16 March 2020 and
- closes at midnight on 1 May 2020
If shortlisted, you will be interviewed in June (exact interview dates are published on the online application form).
We offer many scholarships of up to £13,000 for graduates taking the full or part-time GDL conversion course, including the prestigious David Karmel Scholarships.
Also offered are the William Charnley Scholarship and the Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship, with a minimum value of £12,000 and £10,000 respectively.
From 2019, GDL Scholars qualify for automatic interview for the 2020 Bar Course Scholarships – and the minimum Bar Course award for our GDL scholars will increase from £5,000 to £7,500.
Our minimum award for applicants taking the GDL conversion course is £2,500.
|William Charnley Scholarship||1||£12,000 minimum|
|Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship||1||£10,000 minimum|
|David Karmel Scholarships||up to 8||£2,500 - £13,000|
|Named Scholarships||up to 20||£2.500 - £13,000|
In 2019, additional named scholarships were established, several of which were named after prominent female members of the Inn to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Sex Disqualification (Removal) Act 1919. A list of named GDL scholarships is below:
- David Karmel Scholarships
- William Charnley Scholarship
- Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship
- Anthony Bessemer Clark Scholarship
- Ann Ebsworth Scholarship
- Nina Lowry Scholarship
- Graeme Hamilton Scholarship
- Sheila Mars-Jones Scholarship
- Leonard Caplan Scholarship
- Tatjana Finkelstein Scholarship
- Sir James Hunt Scholarship
- Ellice Aylmer Eadie Scholarship
- Josephine Barnes Scholarship
- Dame Juliet Wheldon Scholarship
- Sir Gilbert Gray Scholarship
- Frances Moran Scholarship
- Edmond James Lawson Scholarship
- Sir Elihu Lauterpacht Scholarship
- Enoch Dumbutshena Scholarship