In 2021 we will award at least £1.3 million in scholarships, including up to 30 GDL scholarships.
2021 applications closed at midnight on Friday, 7 May 2021.
The next application period for 2022 GDL Scholarships:
applications open March 2022 and
applications close on 6 May 2022
If shortlisted, you will be interviewed in June (exact interview dates are published on the online application form).
Our GDL Scholarships support students undertaking various law conversion courses, both full and part time.
Our highest financial awards are the William Charnley Scholarship and the Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship, valued at £12,000 and £10,000 respectively.
We also award further named scholarships, including the prestigious David Karmel Scholarships.
Successful GDL scholars receive a basic financial award of £2,500. Scholars are then invited to apply for further means-tested funding.
All GDL scholars automatically qualify for a Bar Course Scholarship interview and, if successful at interview, their basic financial Bar Course Scholarship award starts at £7,500, an automatic £2,500 increase.
|William Charnley Scholarship||1||£12,000|
|Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship||1||£10,000|
|David Karmel Scholarships||up to 8||£2,500 - £12,000|
|Named Scholarships||up to 20||£2.500 - £12,000|
In 2019, additional named scholarships were established, several of which were named after prominent female members of the Inn to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Sex Disqualification (Removal) Act 1919. A list of named GDL scholarships is below:
- David Karmel Scholarships
- William Charnley Scholarship
- Dame Joyanne Bracewell Scholarship
- Anthony Bessemer Clark Scholarship
- Ann Ebsworth Scholarship
- Nina Lowry Scholarship
- Graeme Hamilton Scholarship
- Sheila Mars-Jones Scholarship
- Leonard Caplan Scholarship
- Tatjana Finkelstein Scholarship
- Sir James Hunt Scholarship
- Ellice Aylmer Eadie Scholarship
- Josephine Barnes Scholarship
- Dame Juliet Wheldon Scholarship
- Sir Gilbert Gray Scholarship
- Frances Moran Scholarship
- Edmond James Lawson Scholarship
- Sir Elihu Lauterpacht Scholarship
- Enoch Dumbutshena Scholarship