We are delighted to announce that we are a Supporter of Charter for Black Talent in Finance and the Professions. The aim of the Charter is to promote equality of opportunity for Black people in finance and the professions, and more can be read about it at blacktalentcharter.com.
In becoming a Supporter of the Charter, the Inn reaffirms its commitment to tackling racism in the profession and to supporting our diverse membership. Supporting this Charter is but one of a number of measures we are taking to promote equality and diversity at Gray’s Inn and in doing so, to set an example for others to follow. These include:
- The Inn has agreed a new approach to the election of Benchers in 2021 which will promote transparency and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds from across the Bar of England and Wales.
- All shortlisting of scholarship application is now blind, i.e. all protected characteristics are removed from the form.
- We have developed an outreach approach for schools in areas where a career at the Bar would not normally be considered by individuals despite having the intellectual capability. The first course has been started in Newham.
- An Equality and Diversity QS using an approach similar to that which we use for ethics is in development. The Equality and Diversity training for the Inn staff will follow similar lines.
- We are to undertake a retrospective survey of the Inn staff to provide a racial and ethnicity baseline against which change may be measured and an external agency will prepare a recruitment manual so we can ensure our recruitment measures support our intention to recruit talent wherever it can be found.
- We have established an Equality and Diversity Review to examine all areas of the Inn and for an action plan to be developed as a result.