Please see our Covid-19 page for the latest updates on the Inn's response in relation to the Covid-19 virus (Coronavirus).
You can get in touch with us by email and on the phone, however, please note that it may take a little longer than usual for us to respond to queries during this period due to amended working patterns for our staff.
- The Treasury Office (main reception) is open for essential visits weekdays 8.30am to 3pm
- The Porters’ Lodge is located via the Inn's main entrance, Lady Hale Gate, off of High Holborn
- The Education Department is open with staff in the office on a rota basis. They are working to deliver Qualifying Sessions online, handling applications to join the Inn and applications for Scholarships and other key services. Please contact Education by email.
- The Library is open between 10am - 4pm Monday - Friday, further details can be found on the main Library page.
- The Bridge Bar Monday to Friday 8am – 4pm with late night opening on Thursdays until 10pm
- Lunch in Hall opens 13 September
- The Walks are open to the public weekday lunchtimes, 12 - 2.30pm. Please continue to keep your distance.
- The Chapel is open for prayer and quiet contemplation (please contact one of our security staff for access) and certain services. It is operating a remote Chapel support service. You can access this by emailing the preacher.
- Gates are closed at night with porter access for residents
- Bridge Bar closes after service on Friday 30 July and reopens 6 September
- Christmas Closure, 23 December 2021 - 3 January 2022
2021 Bank Holiday Closures
- 30 August Summer bank holiday
- 27 December Christmas Day
- 28 December Boxing Day
The Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
8 South Square
Click to enlarge the detailed map of the Inn (PDF) below for the location of specific buildings and entrances, including the Treasury Office and the Education Department.
Chancery Lane (Central line) is the closest Underground station to the Inn. Use exit 1 and continue straight for about 80m to find the main entrance on your right.
Holborn (Central and Piccadilly lines) is a short walk away (approx. 0.4miles / 500m). Use the British Museum & High Holborn exit and turn right. Continue walking towards Chancery Lane station for approximately 7-8 minutes. You will find the main entrance to the Inn on your left shortly before you reach Chancery Lane station.
Farringdon station (National Rail and Underground (Hammersmith and City, Circle and District lines)) is a 9-11 minute walk away.
King’s Cross station (National Rail and Underground (Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Hammersmith and City, Circle and District lines)) is short taxi, bus ride or a 20-25 minute walk away.
Routes 8, 25, 242 and 521 stop at Chancery Lane Station:
- stop E travelling towards St Paul’s or Chancery Lane
- stop F travelling towards Tottenham Court Road
Routes 17, 45, 46 and 341 stop at Bus Gray’s Inn Road:
- stops A & B travelling towards King’s Cross or High Holborn / Chancery Lane Station
- stop C travelling towards Aldwych or St Paul’s
Routes 19, 38, 55 and 243 stop at Gray’s Inn Road:
- stop CA travelling towards Angel or Old Street
- stop CP travelling towards Aldwych or Tottenham Court Road
The Inn is within the Congestion Charge zone.
The lowest archway, which leads into South Square via the main entrance, Lady Hale Gate, at High Holborn, is 3.1m/10ft 5” (usually big enough for a transit type van).
The Inn has cycle racks in Field Court and by Verulam Buildings. Bicycles must not be locked to any railings within the Estate.
The Transport for London cycle hire docking stations closest to the Inn are on Red Lion Street and Holborn (A40, towards St Pauls).