You can find the main reception at the Treasury Office at 8 South Square. Our porters will be happy to direct you upon arrival and can be found in Gray’s Inn Square.
The Inn’s main entrance for pedestrians is a narrow archway off of High Holborn, (near Chancery Lane tube station and immediately next to the Cittie of Yorke pub). South Square is the first square you will encounter when arriving on foot via the High Holborn entrance.
The vehicle entrance and exit is via the Gray’s Inn Road entrance.
These main access points are part of the Inn's current amended access.Please find details and alternative access route maps below.
Gates are closed at night with porter access for residents.
The Inn’s gardens (known as the Walks) are open to the public from 12:00 to 2:30pm on weekdays.
The Inn is undertaking the refurbishment of 19/21 High Holborn together with the main archway entrance to the Inn.
From Monday 6th November until approximately April 2019, the following pedestrian and vehicular access restrictions will apply:
- The main entrance off High Holborn will be closed to vehicles allowing pedestrian access only (from time to time during the project on-going work in the archway may necessitate the closure of the pedestrian access but notices will be in place to re-direct)
- The roadway and Paddock will be closed to vehicles
- There will be no pedestrian access along the Paddock from Gray’s Inn Road entrance
- There will be no pedestrian access through the Gray's Inn Road gateway in Gray's Inn Square
- Traffic lights will operate at the access/exit point and between Gray’s Inn Square and South Square
The Porter’s Lodge will move to Gray’s Inn Square (facing the Gray’s Inn Road entrance that will form the vehicular access and exit to the Inn).
- View the alternative vehicular access routes and traffic circulation
- View the alternative pedestrian access routes
Main reception address
The Treasury Office
The Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
8 South Square
020 7458 7800
Click to enlarge the detailed map of the Inn (PDF) below for the location of specific buildings and entrances, including the Treasury Office and the Education Department.
Chancery Lane (Central line) is the closest Underground station to the Inn. Use exit 1 and continue straight for about 80m to find the main entrance on your right.
Holborn (Central and Piccadilly lines) is a short walk away (approx. 0.4miles / 500m). Use the British Museum & High Holborn exit and turn right. Continue walking towards Chancery Lane station for approximately 7-8 minutes. You will find the main entrance to the Inn on your left shortly before you reach Chancery Lane station.
Farringdon station (National Rail and Underground (Hammersmith and City, Circle and District lines)) is a 9-11 minute walk away.
King’s Cross station (National Rail and Underground (Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Hammersmith and City, Circle and District lines)) is short taxi, bus ride or a 20-25 minute walk away.
Routes 8, 25, 242 and 521 stop at Chancery Lane Station:
- stop E travelling towards St Paul’s or Chancery Lane
- stop F travelling towards Tottenham Court Road
Routes 17, 45, 46 and 341 stop at Bus Gray’s Inn Road:
- stops A & B travelling towards King’s Cross or High Holborn / Chancery Lane Station
- stop C travelling towards Aldwych or St Paul’s
Routes 19, 38, 55 and 243 stop at Gray’s Inn Road:
- stop CA travelling towards Angel or Old Street
- stop CP travelling towards Aldwych or Tottenham Court Road
The Inn is within the Congestion Charge zone.
The lowest archway, which leads into South Square via the main entrance at High Holborn, is 3.1m/10ft 5” (usually big enough for a transit type van).
The Inn has cycle racks in Field Court and by Verulam Buildings.
The Transport for London cycle hire docking stations closest to the Inn are on Red Lion Street and Holborn (A40, towards St Pauls).