Gray’s Inn has today (Thursday 4 May) launched a Code of Conduct for all Members, devised to support our proactive approach to fostering a truly inclusive and supportive environment for all.
The Code was developed by a cross section of our membership via committee. It was approved by the Association of Gray’s Inn Students, the Gray’s Inn Barristers’ Committee and our Management Committee, and finally endorsed by Pension.
The Code of Conduct applies to all Members when representing the Inn, working on the Inn’s behalf, using the Inn’s facilities, or attending an Inn event, and is intended to lay down a clear and broad statement of required standards of conduct.
Members of Gray’s Inn shall:
- Behave with integrity and treat others with dignity and respect
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, collaborative, and supportive environment at the Inn
- Recognise and value diversity
- Be aware of differences in power and influence and avoid conduct that exploits, or might be perceived as exploiting, these differences
- Respect other people’s personal space
- Treat sensitive or personal information with discretion and tact, respecting confidentiality
- Report and / or challenge the behaviour of others when it falls short of the standards expected unless you have a good reason not to do so.