In addition to the major awards in our Scholarships programme, the Inn opens annual Essay Prize competitions for student Members. This year’s questions for The Michael Beloff and Lee Essay Prizes can be found below.
The deadline for submission is Friday 8 September 2023.
The Michael Beloff Essay Prize 2023
Discuss our courts’ approach to the legal status of government policy including whether it is founded on a coherent bedrock of principle?
A prize of up to £1,000 will be awarded for an essay on a selected subject in Administrative Law. The winning entry will be published in the Gray’s Inn Student Law Journal.
The Lee Essay Prize 2023
Should mediation or some other ADR process be made a compulsory feature of the litigation process?
A first prize of up to £1,500 and a second prize of up to £500 will be awarded for an essay on a selected subject on the Common or Statute Law of England and Wales. The winning entry will be published in the Gray’s Inn Student Law Journal.
- This competition is open to any member of the Inn who has not received a pupillage offer by the essay submission deadline.
- Previous winners of this essay prize are ineligible.
- Applicants must intend to practice at the Bar of England and Wales.
- Essays must be original compositions between 3,000 to 5,000 words (including footnotes).
- Essays must be submitted using a pseudonym and conform to our style guide.