The Job Role: Security Officer
Contract: Permanent, four-on-four-off off covering day and night shifts. Averaging 38.5 hours a week. Six month probationary period.
Reporting to: Security Manager
As a Gray’s Inn Security Officer, you will be responsible for protecting the Inn’s assets relative to theft, assault, fire and any other safety issues. The controlling of access to all the Inn’s buildings, the monitoring of residents, tenants, staff and any visitors to the Inn in order to ensure their safety.
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- The management and control of both pedestrian and vehicular traffic throughout the Inn during any one shift.
- Responsibility for the security of all keys retained at the Porters’ Lodge including the issue and return of keys to their correct location, monitoring and reporting any missing or unreturned keys to line management.
- Investigate and deal with any reported incidents and subsequently report to line management and police if needed.
- The opening and closing of the various gates around the Inn at prescribed times during any particular shift currently both in the evening and early morning.
- To monitor all security systems and to be fully conversant with the operation and use of the CCTV, access control, fire, lift and intruder alarms responding to any alarm activation or emergency in a professional and correct manner.
- To answer the telephone and deal with any incidents or enquiries in a professional manner.
- To monitor contractors within the Inn.
- To receive and record reports of any lost/ found property and deal with accordingly.
- To provide a physical presence around the Inn’s estate by carrying out patrols, ensuring premises are secure and dealing with any incidents and enquiries.
- Maintaining a record of shift events within the occurrence book.
- To wear the Inn’s uniform and present a smart appearance at all times when on duty and whilst representing the Inn.
- To deal with enquiries whether by telephone or in person from visitors or callers in a polite and helpful manner.
- To maintain a record of visitors to the Inn.
- To receive any letters/ parcels addressed for the Treasury outside of normal business hours ensuring that they are delivered to the addressee or placed into The Treasury reception as soon as possible.
- To act as bank escort when required.
- To take payments using card payment machine and to total up accounts at the end of shift.
- To undertake any additional training or development relevant to the position as may be required.
- To undertake any other job-related duties which management may determine from time to time.
- Ensure team members and provided with a handover of any relevant information or ongoing incidents during any shift change.
- To be vigilant and alert during shift
Person Specification: Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum valid SIA front line Door Supervisors’ licence.
- Public space surveillance (CCTV) SIA Licence is desirable but otherwise training will be given.
- Certificate in first aid at work or emergency first aid at work is desirable but otherwise training will be given.
- Ability to make decisions.
- Able to carry out foot patrols of The Estate including stairs within buildings.
- A positive proactive work ethic
- A good command of written and spoken English in order to record and pass on verbal and written messages.
- Ability to manage phone and face to face customer enquiries in a confident manner.
- Ability to work individually and as a part of a team.
- IT literate- Microsoft Office- Word, email communication, use of security related software.
Apply for this role
The Inn offers 24 days annual leave and an 8% pension contribution. If you would like to apply, please email your CV to recruitment quoting the reference Security Officer in the heading.