Gray’s Inn stands to promote the values of the rule of law, access to justice, equality, diversity and inclusion within the community – as well as a vision of a modern, independent and internationally active Bar.
As part of this work, in April 2023, a senior delegation of Gray’s Inn Members – led by our Treasurer, Lady Justice Nicola Davies – will travel to Cyprus.
The purpose of the visit is:
- to engage and connect with the many Members of Gray’s Inn who are students, lawyers and Judges in Cyprus and in allied professions
- to raise the profile of the Inn among Cypriot lawyers, law students and prospective barristers
- to celebrate the close ties of our two legal professions, our longstanding mutual support for the rule of law and high judicial and legal standards.
All welcome at half-day conference in Nicosia
On Saturday 8 April, Gray’s Inn will be hosting a half-day free event for students and members of the legal profession at the University of Cyprus, generously co-sponsored by the University Law Department.
Sir Stephen Irwin, His Honour Judge Milwyn Jarman KC, Ali Malek KC and Pavlos Panayi KC will cover a wide range of topics such as:
- The challenges and rewards of developing a cross jurisdictional practice;
- Practising law in two equal languages and for two different legislatures;
- The Commercial Bar and international arbitration and mitigation;
- Coming to the Bar and the Judiciary from a non-traditional background;
- The skills a barrister develops in advocacy, cross examination and drafting;
- National security and the law and more.
A keynote speech by the Treasurer will follow. Key members of the Cypriot legal community will also be speaking.
In the second half of the event, attendees are invited to network and meet the panel over an informal and social lunch. All Gray’s Inn Members who reside or will be in Cyprus are welcome to attend as are those interested in joining an Inn of Court or learning more about being a barrister.
We extend our gratitude to our hosts, partners and counterparts in Cyprus who have aided the organisation of this visit.Find out more