The renowned scholar and international lawyer Master Elihu Lauterpacht CBE QC died in February 2017 and bequeathed his international law library to Gray’s Inn. Delivered to the Library in April 2018, the Collection is made up of books, journals, law reports, pamphlets, off-prints, government publications and conference proceedings, all relating to international law. Temporarily stored in some 185 boxes in the Library’s closed stack, the sorting and cataloguing of the Collection will be a major project over the next year or so. It is a significant new acquisition for the Library and an important supplement to its flagship international law collection.
Further information about the Collection and reports on work-in-progress will be published in due course.
Life & work of Master Elihu Lauterpacht
- Called to the Bar at Gray’s Inn - 1950
- Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge - 1953
- Appointed Queen's Counsel - 1970
- Founded the Research Centre for International Law (Subsequently renamed) - 1983
- Bencher of Gray's Inn - 1983
- Honorary Professor of International Law, Cambridge University - 1994
- Appointed Commander of the British Empire - 1989
- Knighted - 1998
A short but detailed obituary written by Master Stephen M Schwebel can be found in Graya No. 131 2018 (PDF).