Neither of the Inns of Chancery associated with Gray’s Inn has left extensive archives, but what remains is held here.
- Pension Order books 1722-1893
- Admissions and Accounts books 1620-1754
- Admissions Stamp Duty book 1799-1869
- Leases, Surrenders and Assignments 1754-1863 (condition too poor for examination)
The records, including full lists of the recorded admissions, are mostly reproduced and more conveniently consulted in the Selden Society publication The admissions registers of Barnard’s Inn 1620-1869 (C.W. Brooks, ed.) Selden Society Supplementary Series vol. 12, 1995.
- Pension Order book 1751-90
- Admissions Stamp Duty book 1716-1881
- Admissions to Chambers books 1728-1880
- Tax Assessments 1701-03
There is no modern edition of these records. The most useful early publication, which reproduces in full the surviving admission data, is Staple Inn by E Williams, 1906. The better-known Staple Inn and Its Story by T Cato Worsfold (1st edn 1903, 3rd edn 1913) is very informative historically but does not reproduce the surviving members’ lists.
Should you have any queries please contact the archivist.