Masters of the Bench
Elections for Masters of the Bench (also known as ‘Benchers’) are held during Trinityterm each year. You can find details regarding the election procedure in Standing Orders 13 and Rule 4 of the Inn’s rules. Recent elections are also published in News.
Honorary Benchers elected 19 October 2022:
- Mr William Charnley – Partner at King & Spalding
- Mr Robert Bodnar-Horvath – Business Fellow of the Inn
- Ms Loretta Minghella OBE – Master of Clare College, Cambridge
- Professor Rachael Mulheron KC (Hon) – Professor of Tort Law and Civil Justice, Queen Mary, University of London
- Rev Prof Philip McCormack MBE BD MTh PhD (Qub) PhD (Cran) PFHEA FCMI – Principal Spurgeon’s College
- Chief Justice Persefoni Panayi – Chief Justice of the Republic of Cyprus
- The Hon. William Shawcross CVO – A British writer and commentator, Commissioner for Public Appointments
Pension further agreed unanimously at their meeting on 20 July 2022:
The Treasurer moved, and it was ordered, in accordance with Standing Order 13:28, that Brigadier Anthony Harking OBE (“Tony Harking”), former Under Treasurer, be elected as an Honorary Bencher of The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn under the Fast Track procedure.
Trinity Election 2022
- Clare Ambrose
- David Turner KC
- James Roberts KC
- Her Honour Judge Lana Wood
- Ian Wilson KC
- Her Honour Judge Hilary Manley
- Denise Breen-Lawton
- Natalie Sherborn
- Eleanor Mawrey
- Victoria Wilson
- Richard Ryan
- Harpreet Sandhu KC
- Toby Brown
- Mr Justice (David) Unterhalter
- The Honourable Mrs Justice Sarah Morgan
Approved by Pension on Wednesday 19 January 2022. Under Standing Order 13.1 a Member of Hall appointed a High Court Judge shall ‘as soon as maybe after his/her appointment be proposed by the Treasurer in Pension for election as a Master and elected by acclamation’.
- The Honourable Mr Justice Robert Bright.Approved by Pension on 18 January 2023. Under standing Order 13.1 states that a Member of Hall appointed a Judge of the High Court shall ‘as soon as maybe after their appointment be proposed by the Treasurer in Pension for election as a Master and elected by acclamation’.
Elections for Royal and Honorary Benchers are held during Michaelmas term each year. You can find details of the election procedure in Order 13 of the Inn’s Standing Orders.