Become a Vocalise Mentor
As a new mentor, your training will take place from October and you will commence teaching (if you have passed boot camp) in the New Year. Exact dates for both the training and teaching are usually finalised in early autumn, at the start of the academic year.
As well as the training and teaching sessions, we also organise various networking and social events where mentors can meet and speak with senior benchers of Gray's Inn and members of the Vocalise Board including barristers, judges and other legal professionals. We also give mentors the opportunity to meet other law students and be part of the Inn’s community.
To be eligible to apply to become a Vocalise mentor you must be either:
- a current member of any Inn studying the GDL
- a current member of any Inn studying the BPTC
- a current member of any Inn studying law as a final year undergraduate or masters student
- a current member of Gray’s Inn who has completed the BPTC and not secured pupillage
After passing boot camp, you will be expected to commit to the following time commitments:
- Three teaching cycles in prisons; this entails teaching for approximately 3 hours in a prison for a period of three weeks, (therefore attending prisons approximately 9 times in total)
A sign up schedule is released nearer the time which allows mentors to choose when they would like to teach. All teaching takes places during working hours.
Applications to become a Vocalise mentor in 2016-17 are closed. The deadline to apply was midnight on 2 October 2016.
Please contact Vocalise if you require further information.