Records are not complete until late in the 16th century. The first recorded Treasurer, William Walsingham, appointed in 1530, was the father of Francis Walsingham.
For most of the 16th century and for a brief spell in the 17th, two Treasurers served simultaneously, probably for greater security. The period of office settled in the 17th century at two years, although with many irregularities. From 1749 there was a new Treasurer every year. In 1835, the start date of the office was regularised as the first day of the Easter term after election. This was further regularised in 1905 as the 1st January after election.
Highlights are the murder of Richard Aungier in 1597 and the removal from office of Samuel Buck for no very clear reason (possibly inept accounting) in 1690, although his reputation was undamaged and he continued to serve on Pension. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries the shortage of Benchers made it necessary for several to serve twice as Treasurer.
View the names of the Inn's Recorded Treasurers (PDF)
This document gives the names of the Inn's recorded Treasurers, and their dates of appointment, from the first elected in 1530.