The Inn’s Barristers’ Committee (GIBC) is the ‘Voice of Hall’ and exists to:
- represent the view of members of Hall who are barristers and are not Masters of the Bench, and to convey those views to the Masters of the Bench
- consider the interests of members of Hall and the Inn
- nominate members of Hall to serve on the Management Committee and other bodies
- discharge such other tasks as may be agreed from time to time between the Committee and the Masters of the Bench
Call for Candidates
Call for Employed Bar candidates and volunteers for Circuit rep co-option
The Committee is looking for nominations from three Employed practitioners.
The Committee is also looking for representatives from the Circuits.
Deadline to submit your nomination: Friday 22 October, 5pm
Nomination Forms and further details have been emailed to all eligible Members (Members of Hall of Gray’s Inn who are not a Bencher or full time Judge). Please email our Chief of Staff if you have any questions on the role of the Barristers’ Committee as an elected or co-opted Member.
If you would like to stand for election to the Committee but are not in Employed practice, there will be an election in 2022 for Self-employed practitioners.
Members can register for the:
- GIBC Pupil Mentoring Scheme
- GIBC Practitioner Mentoring Scheme.
The GIBC Mentoring Scheme can be a valuable source of support as you go through pupillage, or during your early years of practice.
Register for a mentor (you can apply for this scheme at any time).
Barristers’ Committee Activities
The Barristers’ Committee organises a series of Junior Bar Events to encourage members of Hall to become more involved in the Inn’s social scene. Upcoming events will be listed in Events.
- We hold an annual Wellbeing at the Bar event. Previously we have run an ‘open mic’ night in the Bridge Bar, evenings focused on the Bar and social media, quiz nights hosted by Joshua Rozenberg QC, and a lecture on Financial Planning and Education. More events will be announced in the near future, and we are always pleased to hear from members of the Inn with ideas or suggestions.
- We have established a mentoring scheme for second-six pupils and junior barristers, and have provided input into changes to the Inn’s website. Individual members of the Committee ‘shadow’ members of the Management Committee to ensure that the interests of barrister members are represented in every aspect of the Inn’s activities.
- Two of the Committee (Gwyn Evans and Samantha Jones) sit on the Inn’s Management Committee. The Barristers’ Committee is often asked for input into decisions affecting the Inn. We regularly help to coordinate responses from members of the Inn to consultations from the Bar Standards Board. The Barristers’ Committee also provides one of the Inn’s representatives on the Bar Council (currently Birgitte Hagem) and to the Inter-Inn Young Bar Working Group (currently Sophia Dzwig).
- The Barristers’ Committee is always pleased to hear from members of Hall with comments, feedback, ideas and suggestions. Please feel free to approach any of the Committee’s members or to email the Barristers' Committee
- In addition, the Barristers’ Committee has the power to co-opt committee members from within the Inn’s membership. If you think that you have a particular perspective to offer or experience to draw on, please contact us. We would be particularly keen to hear from members of the Employed Bar or members on the Western or North Eastern Circuits.
Current committee (2021)
Gwyn Evans, (2007 Call, Tanfield Chambers, Self-employed)
- Vice Chair
Samantha Jones, (2012 Call, 39 Essex Chambers, Self-employed)
Kabir Sondhi, (2010 Call, 9 Bedford Row, Self-employed)
- Junior Secretary
Sophia Dzwig, (2017 Call, 3VB, Self-employed)
- GIBC Bar Council Representative|
Birgitte Hagem, (2012 Call, Crown Prosecution Service) Employed bar)
- Jessica van der Meer, (2012 Call, 2 Temple Gardens)
- Victoria Ellis, (2010 Call, Pump Court Chambers)
- Tim Forte, (1994 Call, 3 Temple Gardens)
- Satvinder Singh Juss, (1989 Call, 3 Hare Court)
- Yasin Patel, (2002 Call, Church Court Chambers)
- Andrew Taylor, Wales and Chester Circuit (1984 Call, 30 Park Place)
- Harpreet Sandhu, Midland Circuit (2005 Call, No 5 Chambers)
Association of Gray's Inn Students (AGIS) representatives
- Rebecca Malczewski, AGIS President
- Annie Davis, AGIS Vice President
The tenure of each member of the committee will be for a period of three years. Elections for a third of the committee will take place each year in the Michaelmas term; you can find full details regarding the election process in the Committee’s Constitution which can be found in appendix B of the Inn’s Standing Orders.